Thursday, April 24, 2008

Cause sometimes you just need a drink at church

A church in Wales has applied for what amounts to a liquor license so that they can serve alcohol at church functions like concerts and such, but also so that they can serve alcohol in the small pub they are building on the church grounds. This strikes me as funny, but also so cool. I think that if more churches served beer and wine then the right wingers wouldn't be so damn mad all of the time. Maybe they just need a drink. The whole article is here. The video from BBC is also well worth a look and it is really short, under two minutes.

6 comments:

Fran said...

Oh my- Catholics drink all the time. We are known for it.

That said, while many of us are great fun - more than you might imagine. (we are busy waging peace, fighting justice and drinking to make the headlines.)

However sadly - there are no shortages of assholes either. Even with the drinks.

There's nothing worse than a mean drunk!

Let me go check out that video. I may have to share it with MadPriest over in England.

My last visit to his blog- a few moments ago, showed me a photoshop of Bob Dylan with the words "What the fuck" on it.

And that is minus the alcohol I think. He is an Anglican after all.

Brave Sir Robin said...

That is an idea who's time has come!!!

Little Merry Sunshine said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! Drinking at church would be good and probably increase attendance. Cuz really, it would kill 2 birds with 1 stone for those prone to drinking a little too much on Saturday night. They could cure their Saturday night hangover with more alcohol AND be forgiven for their debauchery from the night before AND be saved all at the same time! Maybe that's 3 birds.

Comrade Kevin said...

The substantial Catholic population here in Jefferson County is the reason why Sunday liquor sales are allowed, but only after noon.

I suppose they don't want you to be drunk in church. :-)

Mauigirl said...

I think it's a great idea; might even get me to come back to church!

The Cunning Runt said...

So maybe my fantasy about a fresh-baked Host and a glass of merlot wasn't so far afield after all!

..just the "drive-through" part...