Saturday, July 28, 2007

Movie Review- Smoke signals

I watched Smoke Signals tonight. I had never heard of it, but found it on Blockbuster and put it in my queue. And even when they sent it to me, I had no idea what this movie was about, I had to look it up again to remeber it. Well, I am glad that I put it in my queue. It was an amazing film about two Native Americans and their different perceptions of the same man, one of the young men's father. They end up traveling together to get the father's ashes after he dies and they discover that there was more to this man than either realized. It is just a great story and movie. The satire surrounding the stereotypical way in which Native Americans are portrayed in films strengthens the film and allows people to see past the stereotypes. It has the distinction of being the first feature film with a Native American crew and creative team. The movie is based upon a book by Sherman Alexie, The Loneranger and Tonto fistfight in Heaven. I think I have heard of the book before and now after seeing this movie, I definitely want to read the book. This film was also not hurt by the appearance of the absolutely stunning Irene Bedard.



This movie also made me think about how people can be perceived in so many ways. I was thinking specifically of our parents. The rest of the world does not see the imperfections that you see in your family and yet they also do not see the great things about your family. My father, for instance, can be very moody and surly at times, and yet most people who see only the public image of my father know him as a charming and fun person to be around. But they also don't know that when he gets around his brothers they can go on these tangents with puns that will last for hours. Only we know our parents in those ways and yet I am not sure that we ever truly know our parents until we talk to someone outside the family who knows them in another situation. We only see what we want to see and need to have our eyes opened to the fact that our parents are humans too with faults and strengths. This is especially true when we are younger, but yet even as I grow older I continue to learn about my parents and I have known them my whole life.

1 comment:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I lovedlovedlovedlovedloved this movie. And it's not just because the lovely Irene Bedard is in it.
Man how hot is she? Off the scale hot!!